I first started blogging in the summer of 2014 and I have to say it was initially a little intimidating. For someone like me who was shy about posting simple status updates on Facebook, I thought to myself, “how in the world can I publicly reveal myself through blogging?”
So I initially set up my blog as a private blog only viewable by my husband. As I continued to write posts, I found myself gaining confidence and I realized that it was a really therapeutic way to be creative. As I perused the sites of more experienced bloggers, I realized that there was no set formula for writing blogs. People write about whatever means the most to them and often the content is inspiring and informative for others. That’s what really got me hooked on blogging. It is a world unto itself with a host of information and a sneak peek into other people’s worlds. I finally got serious about blogging earlier this year and made my blog fully public. I still feel a bit of apprehension when I hit the “publish” button but for the most part, I am feeling a lot more confident about blogging!
So without further ado, here are my top 5 reasons why I love blogging:
- Builds Your Confidence and Improves Writing Skills: I was very shy in the beginning about posting my ideas and opinions online. I thought, “what will people think?”, “does this even make sense?” But the truth is, the more we practice something, the better we get at it. So the more you write, the more confident and proficient you will get at it. It trains you to be courageous enough to speak up and voice your opinion. It’s not an easy thing to do but worth striving for nonetheless.
- A Great Teaching and Learning Tool: You may wonder what to blog about. I wondered the same thing. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Everyone has something to offer and that’s why blogging is so great because it is a free exchange of information, one teaching, another learning.
- Forms Connections: I have met some truly inspirational people through blogging. One female physician in particular has become one of my mentors as I prepare to apply to medical school. A mother like me, she has been through the process and is in a good position to provide advice and motivation. Our friendship is blooming and I would have never found her had I not discovered her blog online.
- Inspires Others: Blogging allows you to come into virtual contact with people who have similar interests, dreams and motivations. By reading what others are doing, it gives you new ideas. And by writing your own thoughts, you can in turn inspire someone else. You may not always be sure of what to say in a post, but say it anyway. You never know whose life you can touch in a very special way.
- Gives You Direction: There’s something about putting things down in writing that helps you to collate your thoughts and get more focused. Some of my posts have been pep talks to myself to remind myself why I’m doing what I’m doing and that I can succeed at whatever I set my mind to. Just seeing positive words on the screen has a powerful effect on our frame of mind.
So if you’ve never blogged before, now’s your chance. And if you are already an avid blogger, keep going! Your words are inspirational!